Sunday, April 12, 2015

When 'Cooking' was a far fetched idea - Piquant Chicken Legs

Hii...

Years ago.. Yes I am the younger one who looks like a complete nut-case
Bengali parents are always very particular when it comes to Studies (Pora-Shuna) and Extra-curricular activities. Well so were mine. 
A (sis) was the perfect all rounder child every Bong parent would want. She was great in studies, an amazing elocutionist, amazing leadership qualities and obviously the teacher's favourite. And  Me, Ahem obviously the opposite, Yes I was great with 'talking' but that was mostly during the classes when the teacher was trying to teach, for me Sports was not playing a particular sport and excelling in it but rather jumping and running around. Whenever A was on 'Prefect' duty in the school corridors, she mostly used to find me outside the class or outside the headmistress's office 'PUNISHED'. But she was my greatest Saviour too. Never ever did she go and complain to Maa or Baba about her naughty little sis.

At Home, we were always occupied with either studies or some fun activities. In our house, kids doing any 'ghar ka kaam' was a strict no-no. It used to be always managed by Maa and Baba. (Though we had to polish our own shoes :( hehe ).

My Nani had been unwell from a young age so my Maa had to take up the kitchen responsibilities at an extremely tender age, She used to manage her studies and the household work since she was twelve. So Maa had been VERY particular that neither A nor Me should start cooking or do any household tasks until we grew up enough or felt like doing it ( Well I am 31 now and A is 35 and Maa still doesn't let us do so technically we are still not grown up enough) hehe.. But that is how 'Mothers' are!!

But what I used to love then also (though I didnot cook) was watching cookery shows. A and me used to always fight over the remote cause she wanted the HBO and I wanted some cookery show. On one such day (when I won the fight) I saw this dish being prepared by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor and it was so simple that even a novice like me could cook this for everyone at Home and Maa Baba and A loved it!!

You can say this was my Début Match in Cooking.. Though my next cooking trial was after 5-6 years I guess!!!

So here goes the Recipe:

PIQUANT CHICKEN LEGS                                
Makes: 4-5 servings

Ingredients:  
Ingredients
Chicken Legs - 16 pieces
Orange Juice - 1.5 cups
Chilli Flakes - 1 teaspoonful
Black Pepper- 1 teaspoonful
Lemon Juice- 3 tablespoons
Cornflour - 1 tablespoons
Honey - 3.5 tablespoons
Salt - to taste

Procedure:

1. Marinate the Chicken with the Orange Juice and some salt for about 15-20mins
2. After 15 mins take out the chicken legs and keep aside
3. In a saucepan pour the Orange Juice (from d marinade) and reduce it over heat
4. Add the chicken pieces and cover and let it cook
5. When the chicken is almost done add the Chilli Flakes, Black Pepper, Honey, Lemon Juice and Salt (if reqd)
6. Mix well and cook further.
Almost Ready

7. When the chicken looks done, mix the cornflour with half a cup water and pour it into the saucepan.
8. Let it simmer till it reaches a sauce like consistency.
9. sprinkle some more black pepper and serve hot!

P.S: The flavors are a combination of tangy, sweet and hot !





This is still one of my favourites and if you notice there is NO-OIL in the recipe so technically very healthy too yet extremely unique and delicious. Try It!!
Thanks and see you in my next post!
Piquant Chicken Legs




No comments:

Post a Comment