Wednesday, April 8, 2015

My first-ever Flight Journey and Baked Beans

Hiii..

I did most of my schooling in Delhi (except a couple of years in between which was in Kolkata).. At our Delhi school, The School's Foundation day (known as the "School Birthday" in our case) was celebrated in a grand way..Every class had their own party with food and music and colourful dresses.. The class was divided into various groups and each group was allocated a specific food item that they were supposed to get from home, like a group was given Sandwiches, while another was given Fruit Chaat and so on..On one such School Birthday (I was in Grade 4 or 5) a girl in my class M got a particular food item for everyone in the class.. It was 'Canapés' topped with baked beans and grated cheese.. It was so delicious that I still savour the taste..At that time I hardly knew what was Baked Beans..

When I was thirteen, Baba got posted to Kolkata for a couple of years.. Since A(elder sis) had her board exams she had to stay back for a couple of months more with Maa.. Baba went to Kolkata beforehand to arrange for my school admissions .. And suddenly one day after A and Me got back from school Baba calls up Maa to tell her that she needs to pack up my things and send me immediately to Kolkata in a couple of days for a school interview. I was devastated, I was having to leave my city, my school, my friends for thirteen years and go to a new city..my obvious reaction , I started crying..

In two days, with a heavy heart I was boarding my FIRST FLIGHT ever all alone early in the morning.. Maa and A had to stay back because of A's exams..Baba would be there at the airport in Kolkata to pick me up..
It was an Indian Airlines flight (That time we had Indian Airlines) and they used to serve meals during the flight.. I was sitting by the window, having weird feelings.. On one hand I was sad and scared, on the other little bit excited because it was my first ever flying experience..

In a while they served us Breakfast.. As I open up the wrappers what do I see.. Yes ofcourse there was BAKED BEANS..Wow I mean even the airlines people are wanting to cheer me up!!

And eighteen years from then, Baked Beans still cheer me Up.. And flight journeys still scare me.. So Here is my take on the dish... I have modified it slightly according to my palate but trust me it turned out DELICIOUS!!

BAKED BEANS ON TOAST



Baked Beans on Toast
Rajma / Kidney Beans

Makes: Around 7-8 Toasts

Note: The Rajma/ Kidney Beans needs to be soaked in water overnight

Ingredients:

Kidney Beans / Rajma - 200gms (soaked overnight in 3 cups of water)

Onion - 1 large finely chopped



Garlic - 7-8 cloves minced


Tomato Ketchup - 150gms/ 2/3rd Cup
After Soaking overnight

Soya Sauce - 1 teaspoon

White Vinegar - 1 teaspoon

Brown Sugar - 3 teaspoons (you can use white too)

Refined Oil - 2 tablespoons

Salt - to taste

Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 teaspoon 


Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Preparations
Onions and Garlic being Sautéed

Cumin/Jeera Powder - 3/4 teaspoon 
Processed Cheese - 2-3 Cubes (Grated)

Bread - 8 slices

Butter








Procedure:

1. Soak the Rajma/ Red Kidney Beans in water overnight

2. Pressure Cook the Rajma the next morning  in 3 cups of water ( Till totally Soft that is 13-14 minutes after the 1st Whistle)

3. In a Pan heat the Refined Oil ( 2 tablespoons)

Add the Boiled Rajma
Toast the Bread Slices
4. Add the chopped Onions and Saute

5. Add the minced Garlic and Saute

6. Add Salt, Brown Sugar, Soya Sauce, Vinegar and Mix

7. Add the Tomato Ketchup and Keep stirring.

8. Now add the Boiled Rajma along with half of the Water in the cooker

9. Mix well and add the Red Chilli Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Cumin Powder and some more salt if needed. Let it simmer

10. You can add some more water but the final consistency should be like a thick sauce.

11. Toast the Bread slices (Make them crisp) and lightly butter them.

12. Just before serving Top the bread slices with the Baked Beans and garnish with grated Cheese. 

Serve Immediately or else the bread will turn soggy.




Baked Beans

P.S: Usually 'Baked Beans' is associated with Flatulence but thankfully  I have never had such an experience, so you too can try this without the fear of any public embarrassment (LOL)

Byeee for now and Thanks for taking out time to read!








No comments:

Post a Comment