Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Amma I love Upmas

Hi.. I know you must be wondering why is a Bengali sounding like a South Indian..I ll tell you why..Seeing my obsession with Curry  Leaves (Kadi patta) my MIL always says that I must have been a South Indian in my previous life..Yes I absolutely love the flavour of Curry Leaves and especially when they are dropped into some hot oil..Aaah the smell!! Well the outcome of that is I try my hand at every possible style of Upmas.. Starting from the traditional Suji Upma to the very contemporary Bread Upma..And this one is also one of my favourites.. Its a "Vermicelli Upma".. Super Quick to make and ideal for a healthy Breakfast!!

VERMICELLI UPMA

Makes:  3-4 servings

Ingredients

Ingredients
Roasted Vermicelli - 170 gms
(If you are using the normal one then just dry roast it in a non-stick Kadhai)
Onions - 3 medium
Carrot - 1 medium
Green Capsicum - 1 medium
Potato - 1 medium
Green Chillies - 2-3 pieces
Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta - 5-6 leaves
Black Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoonful
Juice from 1/2 medium sized Lemon
Salt to taste
Sugar - 2 teaspoons (optional)
Black Pepper- 1teaspoon
Refined Oil - 3-4 tablespoons
Tomato Ketchup - 2 tablespoons


Procedure

  1.  Boil around 5 cups of Water and add a little salt a teaspoonful of Oil in it.
  2. Put the Roasted Vermicelli in the boiling water and cook for about 3-4 minutes (till its soft). But don't overcook it.
  3. Once done strain the Vermicelli,Wash with Cold Water and Keep aside.
  4. Chop the vegetables into medium pieces 
  5. Heat Oil in a Kadhai(preferably a non-stick one) and add the mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Then add the Curry leaves.
  6. Add the Chopped Onions and Sauté.
  7. Add the chopped Chillies and potatoes first. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Remember the potato takes little time to cook so if you are in a hurry you can par boil the potato pieces. Keep stirring. 
  8. When the Potato pieces look half done add the Carrot pieces and Sauté.
  9. Finally add the Capsicum when the Carrot looks half done. Saute
  10. Add the Salt, Sugar (Optional), Black Pepper and Mix Well.
  11. Now add the Tomato Ketchup.
  12. Now stir in the Boiled Vermicelli and Mix Well. Let it cook for a couple of minutes but keep stirring.
  13. Finally finish with a dash of lime juice.
  14. Mix Well and Serve Hot.

    This is how it finally Looked!!
    Vermicelli Upma
    So its "Poitu Varum" from my said...Hope I managed to say Good Bye correctly!!! My Tamil friends can kindly correct me..Thanks for reading!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee, love the tamil connect ;)
    Poitu varum is the "aaschhi" that we bongs say :))
    looking forward to some no bake recipes from you soon

    ReplyDelete